Whether you maintain a healthy lifestyle or not, sometimes there are undetected illnesses or conditions that we don’t find out about until it’s too late. Sometimes people avoid going to the doctor unless they are feeling sick or get injured. Sometimes people avoid the doctor’s office because of the high expense. Whatever the reason behind not going to the doctor on an annual basis, there are ways to take care of yourself and take back your health.
The Top 5 Ways To Maintain Good Health
Obviously, we recommend setting up regular doctor visits for you and your family. However, if you are unable to do so, we recommend following a healthy lifestyle for your body. This includes:
- Diet: Learning what nutrients help restore and repair the body is important. One easy way to remember how is by adding the rainbow to your meals by way of fruits and vegetables. A colorful plate of fruits and vegetables can help ensure that you are receiving the nutrients needed to break down the other foods on your plate. Vegetables provide vitamins to your diet. For example, “Dark green vegetables, such as broccoli, are a source of vitamin K, which helps wounds heal properly” (DKFindOut, nd).
- Vitamins: Sometimes vitamins aren’t found in food. Because we don’t eat the exact same things every single day, it’s important to take a daily multivitamin. Additionally, getting some sunlight will help boost your vitamin D.
- Water: As you know, half the human body is composed of water. But because water is so crucial to maintaining a healthy body, it is recommended to drink a lot more water than you would probably think. “The U.S. National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine determined that an adequate daily fluid intake is: About 15.5 cups (3.7 liters) of fluids a day for men. About 11.5 cups (2.7 liters) of fluids a day for women” (Mayo Clinic, nd). The human body loses “around 2 liters of water a day” (DKFindOut, nd).
- Sleep: Children require around 12 hours of sleep, whereas adults only require about seven hours. What happens when we sleep is that our bodies are able to rest and restore from the times you were awake, and the brain is able to process your day. When you fall into a shallow sleep, your heart rate slows down and your temperature gets lowered. Next you are able to fall into a deep sleep which lasts in 30 minute cycles. And last, your body allows you to dream which causes REM (rapid eye movement). (DKFindOut, nd)
- Exercise: To build and maintain a healthy body, it requires daily exercise. It doesn’t need to be complicated. A simple 30 minute walk can help your muscles stay strong and keep your blood flowing.
Without these five pillars working in tandem, our bodies could be lacking the ability to repair damages as well as have a harder time fighting illnesses. Which of course, then leads to needing the doctor sooner than we’d like. We need to be conscious about the food we eat, the vitamins we are taking in, how much water we drink, how much sleep we are getting each night and how much we are moving our bodies. Because we only have one body, it’s important to take the best care of ourselves as possible. Not to mention it sets a great example for our children when we do.
Two Additional Ways To Maintain Good Health
Don’t forget that mental health and stress management are also major factors on our physical health. Long term stress can cause heart conditions and poor mental health often leads to a lack of proper nutrition and hygiene. Daily habits such as keeping a journal or gratitude notebook can help you shift your focus in a positive way. Meditation and yoga can help balance out your mood and breakdown stress. Taking control of your mental health and stress now can help your physical health in the long run.
There are all kinds of tiny adjustments you can make to your daily lifestyle to ensure that you are at your healthiest. Make sure when you do see your doctor, you discuss what ways you can create a healthier lifestyle for you and your family. The suggestions above are just a few little things you can do today. Your health care professional may have some more we haven’t mentioned, but are easy to incorporate.
DKFindOut. Facts About Keeping Healthy. Nd. https://www.dkfindout.com/us/human-body/keeping-healthy/.
Mayo Clinic. Nutrition and Healthy Eating. Nd. https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/in-depth/water/art-20044256#:~:text=The%20U.S.%20National%20Academies%20of,fluids%20a%20day%20for%20women.